[Axl] annotate vs. anotate

Francis Brosnan Blazquez francis at aspl.es
Tue Dec 19 19:17:04 CET 2006

El mar, 19-12-2006 a las 12:44 -0500, Elliotte Harold escribió:

Hi Elliotte,

I've updated axl annotate API to include a macro alias to fix this
issue. I've also updated the documentation to reflect this, updating all
references to the annotate verb with a single "n" where possible
(without breaking API). Commited to the svn repo.

> It's not 1.0. It's not released.

;-) Let me differ from your point Elliotte. Once we publish a release
note on the site, we consider it released.

> The sooner you fix this the less pain
> it will cause.

I see your point Elliotte, however we are using this software from many
projects that are in production environment.

What I try to do in this cases is to find a solution that solves the
problem without breaking interfaces.

> That was just the most obvious and simplest problem I noticed; but
> there
> are others. I just haven't had time to write them all up.

Fine! Let us to know them Elliotte.

> For an early
> development release, this is fine; but if you're freezing the API
> now,
> you're going to be freezing in a lot of mistakes. :-(

API stability has a price. Obviously if you find that some API tends to
produce bad results, it is possible to deprecate such API and add a new
one, but never change or remove simbols that are used by applications
using Axl.

I'm with you this practice could freeze mistakes in the API. In the
other hand Axl won't break your project because we changed/removed some
API (due to some reasonable decision or not ;-) in future releases.

Thanks for your comments Elliotte,

Cheers!

Advanced Software Production Line, S.L.