[Axl] axl_doc_free() might not....

Mark Richards mark.richards at massmicro.com
Mon Jan 31 17:41:07 CET 2011

axl-0.6.4.b4604.g4608
2.6.18-164.9.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 15 21:04:57 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

Using memwatch (which provides various memory usage statistics) I note
that when I perform a doc = axl_doc_parse_from_file (cFile, &error);
memory used increases (from 136 kB to 154 kB).

Is it reasonable to expect that used memory will return to 136 kB after
I issue axl_doc_free(doc); ?  It does not.

Perhaps returning memory to the pool does not instantly update the
available memory that is reported by memwatch...

However when I repeat invocations of the same code (a simple test: parse
and free) the memory used does not change - it stays at 154 kB.  At
least, this tells me there is no leak.

Perhaps axl allocates memory and leaves it in place?

/mark