[Beepwg] [ANN] Turbulence 0.5.3 'Memories of Green' release is ready!
Francis Brosnan Blazquez
francis en aspl.es
Mar Ago 23 18:16:18 CEST 2011
-= Turbulence 0.5.3 =-
"Memories of Green"
Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce Turbulence
0.5.3 "Memories of Green" release: an open source BEEP application
server, written on top of Vortex Library 1.1.
Turbulence is a BEEP server extensible through modules which allows
to implement server side profiles that are used and combined later
with other profiles through run time configuration.
Turbulence is written to make it easy to develop and deploy BEEP
profiles, allowing developers to provide a convenient configuration
interface to site administrators and end users.
Check out the following links to get ready with Turbulence:
[Vortex Library homepage]
[Sources and binaries]
[BEEP Core community web site]
[Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
The release in short
Many updates to mod-python like allowing loading python applications
using python.conf files located at the profile path working
directory. This allows easy application installation delegation
because working directory is usually owned by the user running the
Added initial fully working mod-radmin module that allows getting
instant information about turbulence runtime status (including its
children) so you can view all connections handled (parent and
children) and other useful information.
This release also includes several bug fixes and new regression
tests to check turbulence function.
Changes since the 0.5.2
* [fix] Updated internal log handling to support log reloading after
SIGHUP received (closing and reopen file descriptors). Added
turbulence-logrotate.d base file to implement rotation. Updated
turbulence-init.d to properly notify start/stop.
* [fix] Adding restart cmd into debian post inst installer.
* [fix] Committing debian changes..
* [fix] Making mod-python to allow loading site python.conf
applications along with applications defined at
* [fix] Several memory allocation checks at the message logging
* [fix] Updated mod-python documentation to explain how to use site
* [fix] Updating version files..
* [fix] Making turbulence_signal_install to remove signal handlers
installed when enable flag is false to avoid inheriting handlers
installed on parent.
* [fix] Fixed memory leak inside mod-mysql-sasl when ip filter is
empty. Ensured SASL dtd is cleared when a failure is found.
* [fix] Updated mod-python documentation to explain how to get profile
path working dir once python app is activated.
* [fix] Several updates to tbc-ctl tool to process incoming command
results. Still more work is required.
* [new] General engine update to allow creating a BEEP connection
between parent and children created. This connection is generic (is a
BEEP connection!) and at this moment is being used by mod-radmin to
implement turbulence management and status notification. GREAT!
Added turbulence regression test to check connection creation and
its status: test_10-b.
* [new] Added first fully working/checked mod-radmin and
turbulence-ctl tool that allows getting real-time state for a
running turbulence process. For now, the tandem supports:
- showing connections on master parent and all children
- showing all children
- getting turbulence process status
- killing children and connections (on master and children process:
* [fix] General engine work to ensure regression tests releases all
parent memory at child process to allow easy memory leak and proper
memory access using valgrind. Until know there where too many
errors to make valgrind reports to be usable (mainly due to python
and valgrind interaction). Fixed many bugs and memory wrong access
(and some leaks ;-).
* [new] Added new module to handle turbulence child process object
(and related elements). API added:
* [fix] General update at the turbulence context module to acquire a
reference to the vortex ctx object associated and to release it at
the very end. Updated API to include a method that allows checking
if the current turbulence context is associated (or it is) a
child. API added:
* [fix] Updated turbulence finalization to do module cleanup at the
very last step to allow module code to be available until the end of
the turbulence context. Also updated the code to not release vortex
context associated when it is detected not enough references (which
shows wrong module/turbulence engine programming) but instead of
breaking, drop an error log.
* [fix] Several updates on turbulence conn mgr module to avoid using
state object and to start using TurbulenceCtx as a step before
getting such object which is more safe (fixes memory wrong access
and some races showed by valgrind).
* [fix] Updated mod-sasl to allow loading extension.modules file from
"sasl" domain context defined
(vortex_support_domain_find_data_file). Also updated the module to
release mod_msyql_sasl dtd on close.
* [fix] Making mod-python to detect if some python app was loaded at
the parent (causing the python engine to be initialized as well) to
avoid starting on child process. There is no way to make python to
work after a fork without an execve operation. Instead of breaking
mysteriously, making the module to refuse loading giving a concrete
* [fix] Added --version support to show current turbulence compiled
* [fix] Reorganized mod-python loading code to load site and system
config files before initializing python (to avoid problems at the
* [fix] Making turbulence_ctx_free to check if internal vortex_ctx
reference is defined to avoid using it to drop warnings..
* [fix] Updated mod-python to avoid calling clean start at application
* [fix] Changed log on mod-sasl-mysql reporting IP not filtered.
Advanced Software Production Line provides GNU/Linux support and
consulting services to help organizations to introduce GNU/Linux
inside its process.
Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
and/or BEEP based development services.
You can reach us:
http://www.aspl.es - info en aspl.es
Francis Brosnan Blázquez - francis en aspl.es
Advanced Software Production Line - http://www.aspl.es
23th aug 2011, Madrid (Spain)
Más información sobre la lista de distribución Beepwg