[Beepwg] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.1.13 "Jumping like Dick Fosbury!" is ready!
Francis Brosnan Blazquez
francis en aspl.es
Mie Nov 6 20:35:20 CET 2013
## Vortex Library 1.1.13 ##
## "Jumping like Dick Fosbury!" ##
Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce Vortex
Library 1.1.13 "Jumping like Dick Fosbury!" release availability: an
open source "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped
Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
development toolkit, with active support for Microsoft Windows and
Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:
[Vortex Library homepage]
[Feature product: Core-Admin]
This release in short
- CORE-ADMIN: first release supporting all features required by
this project (http://www.core-admin.com), a server administration
platform with a web-client interface that integrates BEEP and
- BEEP over WEBSOCKET: VortexLibrary now support providing BEEP
services over WebSocket, through noPoll library:
- PORT SHARING: added new generic support that allows the library
to support running BEEP, BEEP over WebSocket (ws://) and BEEP
over TLS WebSocket (wss://) under the same port, allowing easy
and transparent support for native BEEP and websocket
- ENGINE: several fixings, additional regression tests and new API
functions were added.
- PYVORTEX: several improvements into this binding making it more
stable and more usable from Turbulence.
- SECURITY: now by default SSP is used for compilation and official
packages uses it.
- Étienne Dupuis (reported and provided a path to ensure proper
ascii handling of environment variables; reported unfortunate
- Michael Sola (reported a failure inside vortex tls post action,
with a nice test case).
- Mark Fowler (reported missing listener and client at
Changes since 1.1.12
* [fix] Updated pyvortex conn.remove_on_close handler to check that
value received is a handle to avoid a segfault when None or other
complex object is received.
* [new] Updated PyVortex API to include a new API that will allow
python space code to enable too long notifications (handlers that
are taking too long to finish) into a file. API added:
* [fix] Removed debug messages from vortex_init_check.
* [fix] Fixed unnecessary VortexCtx * ctx declaration inside
vortex_channel_remove_first_pending_msg_no which cause the build to
fail when log support is disabled. Bug reported by Dan Moore.
* [new] Updated PyVortex API to include vortex.unlock_listeners...
* [fix] Adding missing simple listener and simple client and fixed
documentation that was out of date. Problem reported by Mark Fowler.
* [fix] Fixed debian declaration for python-vortex-* packages
to depend on python-vortex..
* [fix] Adding instructions to run regression test before sending a
* [fix] Fixed wrong reference handler at vortex tls post action
causing to return a reference that was finished because automatic
tls failed. Bug reported with a nice test case by Michael Sola.
* [fix] Updated python-vortex package installation to rename
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/vortex folder when found squeeze
installation being upgraded from lenny.
* [new] Added new extension library (libvortex-websocket-1.1) to
support providing BEEP over WebSocket through noPoll library. Nice!!
Added initial regression test (test-17) to test support.
* [fix] Updated connection creation waiting code to detect Bad File
Descriptor error code to stop waiting while connecting.
* [new] Added new functions to allow storing and getting a hook
pointer associated to a connection to avoid having to use
vortex_connection_set_data and its getters which its computational
expensive in cases where lots of calls are required. API added:
* [fix] Updated reading code to track the number of "no data
available" operations found for a particular connection to shutdown
it when a certain amount is reached.
* [fix] Updated reading code to execute preread handler (if defined)
for VortexRoleMasterListener connections.
* [fix] Several updates to ensure libvortex-1.1 is compilable when
web-sockets isn't available.
* [fix] Updated libvortex-websocket library to support having BEEP
running on top of a TLS Websocket (wss). Nice! Added new API and
regression test test_18 and test_19. API added:
- VORTEX_WEBSOCKET_CONF_ITEM_ENABLE_TLS (configuration item)
* [fix] Minor change to vortex_websocket.c transport..
* [fix] Updated vortex_support.c to replace GetEnvironmentVariable and
SetEnvironmentVariable with they "A" implementations to ensure ascii
version is used even when those functions are used with Unicode
build enabled. Bug reported and fix proposed by Étienne Dupuis
(Thanks!) More information at:
* [fix] Making channel start notification to detect and fix serverName
value provided by the requester in the case serverName value was
already configured on the BEEP session by a previous request.
* [fix] Updated vortex-websocket extension library to setup the
serverName value associated to the BEEP session according to the
Host header received over the WebSocket connection (if
provided). Also updated the module to flag the connection as "having
TLS on" when received a successful TLS WebSocket connection
(wss://). This way turbulence is able to handle BEEP sessions with
TLS profile and BEEP session over wss:// with the same profile path
declaration. Fixed vortex-websocket-1.1.pc to also require nopoll
* [new] Updated vortex support module API to include a new function to
create a portable pipe. Moved this code from lua code which now uses
this public and cleaned definition. API added:
* [new] Updated vortex connection API to include a new function to
return the internal data hash associated to each connection. API
* [fix] Fixed some debug logs that should be critical at vortex
* [fix] Fixed memory leak inside vortex_channel when caller requested
a new serverName value over a connection with that value set.
* [fix] Updated vortex frame factory to only drop an error log when
errno != 0 and and raw read error was found.
* [fix] Making websocket module to get Host: header value up until the
* [fix] Making vortex_connection_set_server_name to find hostname
declarations with port part and take away it from the final
* [fix] Making vortex channel pool to not print the status unless
explicitly called by the client.
* [fix] Added new regression test to check if it is possible to flood
a vortex BEEP listener by sending a greetings initial message formed
by infinite frames with more flag on.
* [new] Added initial support for port share support that will allow
running BEEP and BEEP over WebSocket (with TLS variation) on the same
port without having to have especial configurations from library
users. API added:
Added initial regression test (test_20). Still more work required.
Looks really promising.
* [fix] More updates on port sharing code used by web-socket extension
library. Now regtest (test-20) finishes properly. Still more work
* [fix] More cleanups on port share code. Updated code to release
pending code at the listener side. Updated test_20 to ensure the
connection is really working..
* [fix] Completed working and tested implementation for Websocket port
sharing including support to run on the same port BEEP, BEEP over
WebSocket and BEEP over TLS websocket..
* [fix] Fixed transport detection (port-sharing) at web-socket
extension library when receiving TLS connections. Updated module to
acquire references to noPollCtx object when enabled port-sharing.
* [fix] Updated web-socket extension library to run post action
functions that setups Host: WebSocket header into BEEP serverName
* [fix] Updated vortex web-socket module to install thread safety
handlers used by noPoll to protect critical sections.
* [fix] Making vortex reader engine to shutdown connections before
calling vortex_connection_unref on finishing operations.
* [fix] Updated web-socket extension library to include a new setup
options to enable noPoll Debug. API added:
* [fix] Several updates to fix various debug log calls with wrong or
poorly configured arguments.
* [fix] Added additional logging into web-socket extension library.
* [fix] Renamed VORTEX_WEBSOCKET_ENABLE_DEBUG into
* [fix] Added new function to setup manually host and port value
returned by vortex_connection_get_host and
vortex_connection_get_port for a given connection. API added:
* [fix] Engine update to detect bad file socket descriptors that may
have been closed by other means not controlled by vortex to drop
those connections as soon as possible. Added regression test to
reproduce the bug and check the fix introduced (test-01y).
* [fix] Updated vortex reader loop to do the wrong connection check
after the stopping code. Upps.
* [fix] Updated regression test code to allow enabling websocket debug
* [fix] Updated vortex reader to unset socket associated to a
connection that is showing EBADF error.
* [fix] Removed unfortunate strlen declaration (reported by Étienne
* [fix] Updated PyVortex regression test to check connection close
after send operation.
* [fix] Updated PyVortex to use Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS and
Py_END_ALLOW_THREADS around exception notification and calls to
* [fix] Updated PyVortex to add missing GIL release calls on tls
module when failure happens.
* [fix] Updated regression test (test_12) to remove parts of the code
that were causing problems..
* [fix] Updated regression client to show connection errors when
test_15 fails to send block message.
* [fix] Updated vortex_tls module to include support for easy peer
certificate verification (avoids forcing to use SSL post
checks). API added:
* [fix] Additional fixings to vortex_tls_verify_cert to detect more
* [fix] Updated vortex_tls (added some additional debug logs when
certificate fails to be loaded).
* [fix] Updated vortex connection logging to also state what socket is
being closed. Updated vortex frame factory to avoid issuing an
additional connection close during frame reading if the connection
is already broken.
* [fix] Updated web-socket module to use new nopoll_conn_set_on_close
call to control when socket is closed at the noPoll layer to avoid
closing it after at the vortex layer with the risk of closing a
different socket but with the same value.
* [fix] Updated WebSocket connection API to include a new function to
get noPollCtx. API added:
* [fix] Updated regression test to limit wait timeouts while waiting
for replies at test 04-ab.
* [fix] Removed wrong memory access inside vortex_tunnel.c
implementation while passing data from and to connected sessions.
* [fix] Updated vortex reader's
detect-and-cleanup-wrong-file-descriptors to reset to 0 errno value
before checking the fd, to avoid confusions about what of them is
wrong indeed (fixes interaction between test_01y and test_02 under
* [fix] Updated compilation process to include SSP by default (on
linux, gcc compatible platforms..).
* [fix] Added new regression test to check header overflow (nothing
found), but test remains (test_01x).
* [fix] Fixed unused variable error raised by newer gcc compilers..
* [fix] Adding files to have libvortex-1.1 packages for wheezy.
* [fix] Making vortex_channel_free to internally acquire the look
associated to waiting msgno queue to release pending items inside
Advanced Software Production Line provides GNU/Linux support and
consulting services to help organizations to introduce GNU/Linux
inside its process.
Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
and/or BEEP based development services.
You can reach us:
http://www.aspl.es - info en aspl.es
Enjoy Vortex Library!
Francis Brosnan Blázquez - francis en aspl.es
Advanced Software Production Line - http://www.aspl.es
6th nov 2013, Madrid (Spain)
Más información sobre la lista de distribución Beepwg