[Vortex] weird behavior or misunderstanding of beep/vortex?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri Gustavo.Barbieri at indt.org.br
Thu Jun 8 00:33:29 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'm developing a software using BEEP/Vortex and both client and server must
send messages. I mean, differently from HTTP, where just client can start the
requisition, in my case, server could also send information to client without
it asking for... you can understand this as both acting as server and client.
This is a requirement for various reasons and we don't want to follow the
"pooling" behaviour of AJAX apps.

However, I'm with problems using vortex for this purpose. What happens right
now is:

#### "client"
beep_client_connect: connected to 127.0.0.1:12345, channel #5
connection_send_msg: 127.0.0.1:12345 channel#5
channel_send_msg: channel#5
channel_send_msg: channel#5 wait replay #0...
channel_send_msg: channel#5 got reply #0: 1

<notice no message is received after this point!>

#### "server" (one that listen for incoming connections):
Server ready on: 0.0.0.0:12345. Message: 'server ready for requests'
beep_msg_received: channel#5 (127.0.0.1:60483)
beep_msg_received: send reply #0...
beep_msg_received: reply #0 sent!

connection_send_msg: 127.0.0.1:60483 channel#5
channel_send_msg: channel#5
channel_send_msg: channel#5 wait replay #0...

<notice it send the message, but client don't get it!>

As you can see, "client" doesn't even get called back to receive the message
sent from server on channel#5. I don't have a clue why this happens! Using
ethereal shows that message isn't even sent!

Also, I have this connection_send_msg and channel_send_msg split because I may
have multiple clients (and thus connections) that should receive the same
information. There is any better way to broadcast this or the right way is to
iterate (vortex_connection_foreach_channel())?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri

Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com
   MSN: barbieri at gmail.com