[Vortex] Problems using win32 binaries.

mark kane mkane at sattrax.ca
Tue Jul 31 21:38:02 CEST 2007

Hi,

Sorry if this gets double posted, I used the wrong account the first
time I sent it and didn't know if it would make it through.

I'm trying to use Vortex on Windows to evaluate it for some networking
applications.

I downloaded and ran the installer for the windows binaries:
vortex-installer-1.0.3-w32.exe

I then copied some sample code from the vortex site into my C++
appliction and tried to comple it using Visual Studio. Note that I
configured my project to point to the appropriate locations for include
and lib files. The sample code includes the file "vortex.h".

It seems that there are a number of missing dependencies in the include
files:

First error: vortex.h includes the file glib.h which is not found. I
read in one of the archived mailing list messages that glib dependency
was removed so I thought this might be left over. I commented out this
include and and tried again.

Next error: axl_decl.h includes the file axl_config.h which is not
found. I searched for this and it's not part of the installation.

Other files included but not available: unistd.h, axl_hash.h,
axl_factory.h

Also note that when trying to run the vortex-client.exe,
vortex-listener.exe, they fail to run due to missing libglib-2.0-0.dll.
This dll is not provided by the installer.

I then tried a previous version: vortex-installer-1.0-w32.exe

This version includes the glib headers and libraries so I didn't get an
error for glib.h

Still missing unistd.h (included by axl_decl.h) and axl_hash.h (included
by axl.h).

I then get a list of redefinition errors from winsock.h

Am I missing something obvious?

Note that I am not trying to build the library, I just want to use the
prebuilt binaries.
My understanding is that the Vortex library does not require cygwin or
anything other than axl in order to run on windows. Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Looks like a nice API but I'm not having
much luck with it so far.

Thanks

- MKane