[Vortex] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.0.9 'A certain shade of greenrelease' is ready!

Francis Brosnan Blazquez francis at aspl.es
Sat Nov 3 11:24:08 CET 2007

Hi Chris,

> I've got a few suggestions for the Windows users out there.
>
> 1. How about adding version resources to the DLL? This way we can
> right-click over a vortex DLL and see what version it is via the
> Windows Explorer properties window.

Sounds really good. Could you provide some details to make these
possible? (we are mainly gcc guys ;-)

> 2. Add the ENABLE_SASL_SUPPORT, ENABLE_TLS_SUPPORT,
> ENABLE_XML_RPC_SUPPORT and ENABLE_TUNNEL_SUPPORT macros to vortex.h so
> we can see how the library was compiled.

These macros are intended to be used internally by Vortex at compilation
time. Maybe you are interested in using vortex_*_is_enabled family of
functions to check for features...If not, what do you have in mind?

> 3. Take advantage of the Microsoft Visual Studio compiler autolinking
> pragma to simplify linking in any needed 3rd party libraries. For
> example:
>
> #ifdef ENABLE_SASL_SUPPORT
> #pragma comment(lib, "C:\\Program Files\\Gsasl32\\lib\
> \libgsasl-7.lib")
> #endif
>
> #ifdef ENABLE_TLS_SUPPORT
> #pragma comment(lib, "libssl.lib")
> #pragma comment(lib, "libcrypto.lib")
> #endif

Interesting. I'll check this.

> 4. In regards to successfully conditionally compiling vortex without
> the support for SASL and TLS, I've updated the latest versions of
> vortex_sasl.c and vortex_tls.c to support this.
>
> 5. Finally, there was one other compile issue with vortex_sasl.c where
> it was including unistd.h. This is updated in the attached
> vortex_sasl.c.

Thanks for the patch Chris. The unistd.h change is now integrated. For
future changes you'd like to propose it would be great if you use a diff
tool. For windows environment, you can download this [1], and then run
at the command prompt:

>> diff -u project_copy your_local_copy

This will produce an unified diff which is really easy to integrate and
check what's going to be included.

> As always, great job and thanks for a great library!

Thanks Chris!

> Chris Yourch
> REPLICUS Software Corp.

[1] http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm