[Vortex] PATCH: Send messages in 1kbyte frames

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Wed Apr 23 07:59:42 CEST 2008

Here's the patch I've been talking about: it modifies
vortex_sequencer.c to break outgoing messages into 1kbyte frames
("less than 2/3 of the TCP MTU size" as recommended in the RFC.)

* This improves throughput, especially over high-latency connections,
by allowing the remote peer to send back a SEQ frame before the window
fills up, so the sequencer doesn't stall.
* It should also make the connection's flow control fairer to all
channels, by preventing a channel with large messages from using up
most of the bandwidth (a problem that could otherwise get worse if the
window size is increased.)

This patch includes the workaround I mentioned earlier today, i.e. it
leaves channel 0 alone to avoid breaking up the greetings messages.
The standard Vortex regression tests pass, and my application is
working reliably (with better throughput than before.)