[Vortex] PATCH: Enhanced vortex_connection_new; better error checking

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Tue Mar 18 00:04:42 CET 2008

This patch (against SVN r3338) does two things:

(1) Adds a new API call vortex_connection_new2. This takes an
additional parameter "localPort", which allows the local TCP port
number to be specified. (Most of the time you don't care what local
port number is used when making a TCP connection; but there are
circumstances where you do, mostly having to do with techniques to
traverse NATs*. Which is why my app needed it. Others might need it
too, because it's a common requirement for P2P software, and BEEP is a
very good protocol to use for P2P.)

(2) Fixes a bug with auto-TLS, where if the TLS negotiation fails, the
client's onConnect callback is called with a NULL VortexConnection.
When that happens the client has no way to get an error message. With
this fix, a valid VortexConnection will be passed to the callback,
whose message is set to the error string returned from TLS.

I'm pretty confident about #1. Less so about #2; it works for me, but
I'm not sure if it's the best way to fix the problem, and it might be
leaking memory. Definitely needs review.

—Jens

* For gory details see <http://www.bford.info/pub/net/p2pnat/>