[Vortex] Compression of payload

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Sun Mar 30 18:53:57 CEST 2008

On 30 Mar '08, at 8:11 AM, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> Hi, does vortex contain anything to use compression for network
> messages?
> If not, would it make sense to add this option?

I'm pretty certain it doesn't. I haven't seen any code related to
compression, and it doesn't link against zlib or anything like that.

Compression would be a good option for larger payloads, provided they
weren't already in a compressed format (like most graphics / audio /
video files). I suspect it wouldn't provide any measurable benefit for
small requests and responses, though.

It's easy enough to add it yourself. Just use zlib to compress the
payloads, and make sure to declare a MIME type like application/zip in
the VortexMessages you send.

Having Vortex compress automatically would be a bit problematic
because the BEEP standard doesn't say anything about how to indicate
that a frame is compressed. So at that level it's something that's up
to the profile designer to specify.

—Jens