[Vortex] Question about ausage pattern

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Sun Mar 30 18:58:49 CEST 2008

On 30 Mar '08, at 8:11 AM, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> Now the question is, the initiator uses a frame-recieved handler to
> write
> the recieved data. But, how to get either the filename or the
> filepointer
> to this handler? I don't want to use globals because there can be more
> than one file transfer at the same time, vortex is threaded etc.

Every outgoing message is assigned a message number when it's sent;
and every incoming frame contains the message number that it's
replying to.

So when you send a request, use a per-channel dictionary to associate
its message number with whatever auxiliary data you need to remember.
Then when a reply arrives, look up what channel it's in, get the
dictionary, then use the original-message number to look up the
auxiliary data.

In my framework the auxiliary data is a pointer to a user-supplied
"message delegate" object, and the incoming reply is sent along to a
replyReceived method on that delegate.

—Jens