[Vortex] Are content-types and transfer-encodings supposed to work?

Sam Roberts vieuxtech at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:02:38 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Robert M. Münch
<robert.muench at robertmuench.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 May 2008 02:21:56 +0200, Jens Alfke <jens at mooseyard.com> wrote:
>
>  > Has anyone successfully used content types and/or transfer encodings
>  > in Vortex?
>
>  Hi, not yet because I don't see any value to do so. I just use "plain"
>  channels and don't care about this stuff. For some channels I know that
>  binary is sent and for others I just use plain text for my application
>  protocol.
>
>  Can you give an example where it makes sense to use this Vortex feature?
>  Robert

If you want to send binary chunks (hunks of files, images), but want
to attach a bit of meta-data. You can define your own text encoding,
maybe use xml, and then put the binary in as base 64. but if you just
want to send what you have, using the mime headers offers a convenient
place to put some extra related info. If beep didn't allow this, life
would go on, but it's nice.

Sam