[Vortex] Are content-types and transfer-encodings supposed to work?

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Tue May 13 21:34:07 CEST 2008

On 13 May '08, at 11:54 AM, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> Can you give an example where it makes sense to use this Vortex
> feature?

I want to compress some message bodies (using gzip). I'm sometimes
bandwidth-constrained, and markup like XML / JSON / YAML compresses
extremely well (sometimes 10::1.) The most natural way to do that
would be for the sender to add a "Content-Transfer-Encoding: gzip"
header, as HTTP does.

Without that, I have to do something like insert a flag byte in front
of the payload that's set to 1 if the payload is zipped. Yuck.

In general, BEEP was intended to save people from having to re-invent
the same wheels over and over. Inventing new data formats and
conventions for annotating data is a major source of that. It's a lot
cleaner if you can send the payload in a standard format, whether it's
XML or JPEG or whatever, and have a mechanism for attaching metadata
to it, like types and encodings and dates and whatever. That's been
ubiquitous ever since at least RFC 822.

Unfortunately, such issues are now the least of one's problems with
interoperability, since Vortex is accidentally using a private mutant
protocol that isn't compatible with BEEP...

—Jens