[Vortex] Is vortex assuming that msg numbers on channels start at 1 and increase by 1/

Sam Roberts vieuxtech at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 01:00:23 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Robert M. Münch
<robert.muench at robertmuench.de> wrote:
>> I use multiple toolkits, and it looks like this vortex assumption has
>> caused interop failure with two other implementations recently, so its
>> not "subtle".
>
> Ok, I see. BTW: What other BEEP toolkits do you use? What's the main difference to vortex?

We use a version of BEEPy that we rewrote so that it works. It's in
python and works with the twisted protocol infrastructure.

We use beep4j, its in java, and works with MINA.

Both of those are event-driven rather than multi-threaded, btw.

I'm also experimenting with using beepcore-c by binding it into Lua.
Its main difference from vortex is that its not multi-threaded, and
that it has a kernel of code (the "core") that processes beep protocol
data while making no networking calls, and has close to no library
dependencies. It would be a good candidate for binding into Python or
Ruby, as well.

Besides interop, a focus of my experiment is performance. BEEP seems
to significantly underperform compared to raw TCP, we need this fixed
(we download large pdfs over BEEP, as well as sending small messages
back and forth).

Sam