[Vortex] Is vortex assuming that msg numbers on channels start at 1 and increase by 1/

Sam Roberts vieuxtech at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 06:54:36 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Robert M. Münch
<robert.muench at robertmuench.de> wrote:
> Am 25.11.2008, 01:00 Uhr, schrieb Sam Roberts <vieuxtech at gmail.com>:
>> I'm also experimenting with using beepcore-c by binding it into Lua.
>
> What's your experience with it so far? Is it a stable lib or does it need a lot of work to make it useable?

stable, but way too low-level to be used directly, it needs wrapping.

It comes with a wrapping, but its way too high-level, and has been
abandoned as having taken a few wrong turns. Vortex is better if you
want a multi-threaded library for C/C++.

> Do you have any benchmark numbers? I expect that BEEP is a bit slower than raw TCP because of all the housekeeping stuff. For me the tradeoff is how much speed I loose while gaining a lot of reliable infrastructure that I don't have to care about. And so far BEEP has really been a good choice.

Beep performance can be much poorer. Its essential to use window sizes
in the close too 100K range for bulk transfer, and to make sure you
fill the window with data, probably pre-sending 5-10 messages of about
10K each, to come close to TCP. And disable NAGLE :-)

I'm sure BEEP can do much better, there is no reason in the protocol
to be slow, its all in how you use it. I hope! I'll write up
recomendations when I have them. Still doing testing.

Cheers,
Sam