[Vortex] [beepwg] A couple of features to limit BEEP no reply attack

Francis Brosnan Blazquez francis at aspl.es
Wed Mar 18 14:10:29 CET 2009

Hi David,

> First, regarding reply-limit:
>
> * The reply-limit feature could be implemented by the library
> implementing the BEEP protocol.  The library could automatically
> terminate the session whenever it determined that the remote peer was
> taking too long to reply to requests.  Clients using the library could
> override this timeout value on a per-session and per-channel basis.
> Can you provide an example showing why it is better to make this a
> feature of the BEEP protocol instead of just implementing this in the
> library?

Ok. In general, having a BEEP peer with pending replies is a problem yet
not solved. This drives to a situation where users start to doing the
only thing that can solve this, assuming session close requirements,
that is, to shutdown the session. It is important to note this is a
protocol violation.

Knowing this, you can think you can implement a per-session or
per-channel policy (out of the BEEP context) to take a measure, but, at
end, having a BEEP session with only one channel (including 0) with
pending replies yields to the same solution, again, you have to shutdown
the session (mainly because you'll never fulfill BEEP close requirements
in such context).

With the time you find people asking "why my app gets blocked on session
or channel close?". When you answer to this question people find they
have to shutdown the connection to ensure, in every case, they will
never be blocked.

So, as a general conclusion I find that:

1) All solutions comes to shutdown the session in the case of pending