[Vortex] invalid write in __vortex_channel_common_rpy

DEXTER mydexterid at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 18:37:26 CEST 2010

> Hi Dexter,
>
> Sorry for the delay. I've been out of the office.
>
> Thanks for reporting in any case!

Hey, no probs. It's summer after all :)

> Ok, I've been checking the code but it is not clear to me how the race
> happens and how your patch fixes the issue. It would be very helpful to
> know on which line happens the free (your trace do not include that) and
> on which line happens invalid write.
>
> Maybe you can post another valgrind trace but also including vortex
> debug lines (where jump happens).

Yes, we had some problems with the debug infos missing. Unfortunately
I'm not on that project right now. We work on a project at work where we
use vortex, and I'm not always on that project. So right now I don't
really have the context to reproduce the issue, but I hope we can go
back to it in the near future.

> I've compared these portion of code with 1.1 series and are essentially
> the same (only a couple of modifications to include global
> notifications).
>
> Taking together all pieces it looks like the channel that was closed
> previously, and was reused later by MessageTransportServer::response
> causing the invalid write.

As far as I remember we were investigeting this also, but at the end we
came to a conclusion that the mentioned patch could be the issue.

> Cheers!
>
>> We're still using the old 1.0.17.b3739.g3739 version.
>
> ...maybe you could consider switching to 1.1 series and see if the bug
> still persists. It won't take you more effort than tracing why you get
> this wrong ref.

We definitely have to do this sooner or later, I hope it'll be sooner :)