[Vortex] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.1.10 'Escape Velocity' is ready!
Francis Brosnan Blazquez
francis at aspl.es
Tue Oct 25 19:47:24 CEST 2011
## Vortex Library 1.1.10 ##
## "Escape velocity" ##
Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce Vortex
Library 1.1.10 "Escape velocity" release availability: an open
source "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto
Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
development toolkit, with active support for Microsoft Windows and
Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:
[Vortex Library homepage]
[Turbulence BEEP server homepage]
[Sources and Win32 binaries]
[BEEP Core community web site]
[Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
This release in short
LUA: Now Vortex Library officially support Lua through LuaVortex
binding. See documentation to get ready building Lua BEEP
SERVER SIDE: Added support for automatic thread pool resize, through
vortex_thread_pool_setup, which allows a BEEP vortex peer to react
to working peaks adding threads, reducing them automatically when
working load decreases.
SECURITY: added support to limit frame size that could be received
when automatic frame joining is enabled.
CODE MORE ROBUST: now frame objects acquire a reference to the
context to allow them to live after a vortex context was
finished. Updated vortex profiles module to support changing profile
settings in a thread safe manner (including removing registered
- Ralf Konusch (Reported thread safety problems at vortex profiles
module, reported and fixed problems at reg tests when TLS and SASL
aren't available, reported problems with CONN_OPTS due to
__VA_ARGS__ in Microsoft Visual Studio)
- Dwnam (Reported inconsistencies at vortex ctx data API which
caused vortex-ctx-data-01 change notify).
- Dexter (Reported missing notify actions on TLS module when used in
conjunction with PULL API).
- Scott Zhang (Reported and fixed problems with headers at xml-rpc
module and xml-rpc-gen tool when used with c++ compilers).
Changes since 1.1.9
* [fix] Updated API for vortex_set_data_full, vortex_ctx_set_data and
vortex_ctx_get_data to make the key parameter to be const char *
instead of axlPointer which is consistent with current implementation
and avoid problems while passing other types (specially numbers or
pointers) when a string it is in fact expected.
* [fix] Updated vortex frame module to acquire a reference to the
VortexCtx to allow using frame references even after vortex ctx is
finalized. This will simplify bindings..
* [fix] Setting close on exec flag on file descriptors created by
* [fix] Fixed leak inside channel start handling when an error reply
is generated with a custom user message.
* [fix] Making channel start reply handling to remove the channel
in case of error instead of waiting for the connection to finish.
* [fix] Replaced several calls to axl_free with vortex_frame_unref
* [fix] Added missing cleanup functions inside vortex tls module.
* [fix] Removed deallocation of ssl contexts (inside vortex tls) when
a certificate failure is found (those objects are already removed by
connection finish handlers).
* [fix] Updated regression tests to allow selecting the set of tests
* [fix] Nullified queue reference at pull API module (ctx was holding
a reference to a deallocated queue).
* [fix] Fixed wrong memory access inside vortex listener regression
* [fix] Fixed PyVortex handling to detect pvalue == NULL after calling
PyErr_Fetch, so it points to Py_None.
* [fix] Added a debug log into vortex_thread_pool.c code...
* [fix] Removed wrong PyVortex documentation reference (set_serialize)
from vortex.Ctx .
* [new] Added initial support for automatic thread pool resizing,
allowing a server to adapt its thread pool adding/removing working
workers according to working peaks. API added:
Added regression test to check its function (test-00-c1).
* [fix] More updates to regression test (test-00-c1).
* [fix] Making vortex thread pool automatic resize to not have to
release locks to add or remove thread from the pool to avoid races
with the state and the number of threads added.
* [fix] Updating version files..
* [fix] Making vortex sequencer to acquire a reference to the vortex
ctx and to release it when stop beacon is detected. Solves possible
race condition when sequencer loop takes longer than 60 seconds stop
during a call to vortex_exit_ctx.
* [fix] Reorganizing debian package files..
* [fix] Removed call to COMP_zlib_cleanup which seems to
be not available in older distributions..
* [fix] Updating debian files..
* [fix] Adding change notification vortex-ctx-data-01.txt and fixed
manual type (Reported by Dwnam).
* [fix] Updated vortex profiles module to implement reference counting
internally which allows to unregister profiles at run time. Also
updated the module to acquire references to handlers and data to
make the check and the execution to play with the same references
(avoid races). Also fixes when a frame received was unset from a
profile during a heavy load frame received call (Reported by Ralf
* [fix] Making vortex channel send operations to check result from
vortex_channel_ref before configuring vortex payload feeder.
* [fix] Added regression test test_01-v to check support for dynamic
profile unregistering. Also fixed channel close request to always
accept in the case no handler is found and the profile is not
* [new] Added support to limit max incoming message size when complete
frame flag is enabled. Updated documentation to explain security
risks (vortex_channel_set_complete_flag). Added regression test
test-01w to check support added. API added:
* [fix] Applied some changes to disable TLS and SASL reg tests when
these components aren't available. Fixed variable declaration after
code inside vortex profiles module. (Fixed and reported by Ralf
* [fix] Fixed possible race at vortex sequencer that may provide
access to a channel reference inside a connection that is not
* [fix] Updated vortex connection actions notify to be reetrant
(required for auto tls and fix introduced by test-14-h).
* [fix] Fixed vortex tls module which wasn't creating notify actions
for TLS connection created. This was also causing problems at the
PULL api because connection close event was not triggered for TLS
connections (Reported by Dexter). Added regtest test-14-h to
reproduce the bug and check fix introduced.
* [fix] Updated documentation to explain what happens with content
configured with vortex_connection_set_data during a tls activation..
* [fix] Fixed xml-rpc headers when used with g++. Moved BEGIN_C_DECLS
inside ifdef (reported by Scott Zhang).
* [fix] Added regtest (test-01-e1) to check vortex_listener_unlock
before vortex_listener_wait support..
* [fix] Removed ## declaration in front of __VA_ARGS__ inside
* [fix] Added a new function to create default connection options
object. Fixed CONN_OPTS macro to use this new function (fixed using
__VA_ARGS__ which is not supported in visual studio). Reported by
* [fix] Making vortex reader loop to also check for automatic thread
pool resize to avoid having all threads in the pool blocking due to
long running tasks, causing the thread pool to be not resized.
* [fix] Fixed several compilation errors inside vortex core and
PyVortex when debug log is not enabled. Reported by Ralf Konusch.
* [fix] Reorganized automatic thread pool resizing code to be checked
from inside vortex reader to ensure we can resize even in those
cases where all the pool is busy for a long time. Added regression
test to reproduce the bug and check fix introduced
* [fix] Adding show connection errors to regression tests..
* [fix] Making vortex_channel_reply_ref to return axl_bool signaling
if the ref process was ok. Used this to fix close in transit bug
found on systems heavy loaded with low memory.
* [fix] Updated regression tests that creates local listeners to use
"0" to allocate a random port to avoid problem with port reuse in
low memory or slow systems running the reg test.
* [fix] Fixed problem with g++ compilers when used code generated by
xml-rpc-gen (strings marshalled for xml-rpc c stub). Reported and
fixed by Scott Zhang.
* [fix] Making VortexChannel to acquire its own reference to VortexCtx
instead of relying on VortexConnection's reference (which can be
nullified on connection close, but channel reference may remain
because the user acquired additional references). Checked reg
tests. All fine.
* [fix] Importing latest checked lua-vortex
implementation. Reorganized compilation infrastructure to fit into
current libvortex-1.1 building system. Everything keeps
* [fix] Adding missing files to build documentation..
* [fix] Improved configure.ac process to check if indeed there is a
python and a lua suitable installation to create py-vortex and
lua-vortex bindings (even in the case the user requests it). Added
some fixings to lua-vortex testing to not break when sasl or tls
modules aren't enabled.
* [fix] Making installation to detect if lua install dir announced by
pkg-config really exists to create it if is not the case.
* [fix] Updated Vortex pull API to include a new event to notify when
a connection is ready to use or its setup is ready (like listeners
connection). Event added:
Updated pull API to include a function to easily print event type
names. API added:
Updated regression tests to check this new event to ensure everything
* [fix] (minor change) Changed debug message from thread pool to
Advanced Software Production Line provides GNU/Linux support and
consulting services to help organizations to introduce GNU/Linux
inside its process.
Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
and/or BEEP based development services.
You can reach us:
http://www.aspl.es - info at aspl.es
Enjoy Vortex Library!
Francis Brosnan Blázquez - francis at aspl.es
Advanced Software Production Line - http://www.aspl.es
25th oct 2011, Madrid (Spain)
More information about the Vortex