[Vortex] Using GitHub for source-code hosting?

"Robert M. Münch" robert.muench at saphirion.com
Thu Jan 3 10:03:31 CET 2013

Am 31.12.2012 um 12:47 schrieb Francis Brosnan Blazquez <francis at aspl.es>:

>> how about using GitHub for AXL & Vortex? This would make using it much
>> simpler (via subprojects), branching, sending in patches (via
>> pull-requests) etc. would all become much more simpler for all users.
>
> Ok, while I see git a nice tool, I think it doesn't fit very well with
> vortex development, or, in other words, I think it will incur in more
> work for users while working with vortex without getting significant
> improvements.
>
> I would see git for vortex in the case it were a descentralized project,
> with many modules where each module has its own project leader and some
> of them may be disconnected or want to apply bigger tracked changes that
> would be later merged, but that's not the case in vortex which is a
> really centralized project with a low complexity....

Hi Francis, well, that's one point where Git is a good choice. But there is an other argument to think about. Vortex is a library, so it's always used in combination with some other project files. Hence, there is a dependency between my project and the vortex version it runs with.

Git provides a very convinient way to handle such situation and bring in updates to the dependent libraries, without having to deal with branches like SVN provides etc. And it allows me to hack some changes very quick in the vortex code and revert back.

I still would consider it a good alternative. And BTW: You can use Git internally as well. The transition is not that hard but boosts your productivity a lot.

- Robert