[Vortex] Using exclusive threads in vortex_thread_pool.c

Francis Brosnan Blazquez francis at aspl.es
Tue May 9 19:38:15 CEST 2006

El lun, 08-05-2006 a las 14:54 -0400, Philip Kovacs escribió:

Hi Phil,

> It may be interesting to try experimenting with setting exclusive to
> FALSE so that threads
> may be shared vertically by the application as a whole.  I don't see
> any
> compelling reason
> (just yet) to separate your pool from mine via exclusive TRUE.  I may
> be
> wrong of course.

I see reasons for both cases. I've added new API to allow configuring
this behaviour. By default, we will leave this untouched. However you
can play with it. You'll find the thread pool files update at [1] and
[2].

The API to be used is: vortex_thread_pool_set_exclusive_pool. Here is an
snippet:

<snippet>
// at your initialization code, before calling vortex_init..
vortex_thread_pool_set_exlusive_pool (FALSE);

// more initialization stuff, and finally
vortex_init ();
</snippet>

Let us to know any interesting data about the performance (or any
difference) you may find tweaking this value.

Good day Phil!

[1]
https://dolphin.aspl.es/svn/publico/af-arch/trunk/libvortex/src/vortex_thread_pool.h

[2]