[Vortex] Using exclusive threads in vortex_thread_pool.c

Philip Kovacs kovacsp3 at comcast.net
Mon May 8 20:54:26 CEST 2006

Hi Francis,

I am layering my glib-based library over libvortex and I''m also using a
thread pool.
I notice that your thread pool is set for exclusive use in
vortex_thread_pool.c:

 __vortex_thread_pool =   g_thread_pool_new
(__vortex_thread_pool_dispatcher,
                                                     NULL,
                                                     max_threads,
                                                     TRUE,
<---- Exclusive flag
                                                     &error);

libvortex drops all its threads immediately in vortex_init with
exclusive set to TRUE.

It may be interesting to try experimenting with setting exclusive to
FALSE so that threads
may be shared vertically by the application as a whole.  I don't see any
compelling reason
(just yet) to separate your pool from mine via exclusive TRUE.  I may be
wrong of course.

Phil