[Vortex] Anybody have binding of vortex into Lua?

Francis Brosnan Blazquez francis at aspl.es
Fri Sep 22 19:10:16 CEST 2006

El vie, 22-09-2006 a las 09:36 -0700, Sam Roberts escribió:

Hi Sam,

> Good language, and can support threads well, unlike most dynamic
> languages, and designed to be extensible with C.

Good. I've been looking into the examples and the WorkShop [1] they have
done and looks really nice!

> I like vortex, and I'm hoping to use it in upcoming projects, but its
> use of threading makes it impossible to bind into ruby [*], which
> would
> be my language of choice.

Not impossible, at least, not directly ;-)

You can always make the asynchrouns API to be behave synchronously,
which is the way we use vortex library inside our C# applications.

In fact, most of the API is dual (i.e: vortex_connection_new and
vortex_channel_new don't create threads if no notification handler is
provided).

Then you can use vortex_channel_get_reply [2] to make the frame
reception to be synchrnouns (no threads created inside vortex will get
inside the ruby runtime), allowing the binding to get the next frame