[Vortex] Some warnings to downgrade?

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Tue Apr 8 20:19:34 CEST 2008

I'm regularly seeing two "critical"- or "warning"-level log messages
from Vortex, that appear to indicate normal & harmless situations. I'd
like to confirm this, to make sure they aren't really indicating bugs
in my code.

"closing a connection id=%d which is already opened with %d channels
opened.." (vortex_connection.c:2003)
     This is logged whenever you call vortex_connection_close on an
open connection. (Even if there are zero open channels.)
I think this should be lowered to "debug" level, like the comparable
message that's logged when closing a non-open connection.

"Seems that the next seq number to use is greater or equal than max
seq no (%d >= %d), which means that this channel (%d) is
stalled" (vortex_sequencer.c:250)
     This appears to happen any time I send two or more messages in
rapid succession, before the socket has time to deliver them, if their
size adds up to 4k bytes or more. This doesn't indicate a problem,
right? In the case where this happens, my higher-level code has
generated some messages to send, which I queued until the connection
and channel finished opening; then I dump all the queued messages into
the channel at once, resulting in this warning.

Thanks,

—Jens