[Vortex] connection IDs

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at robertmuench.de
Tue Apr 22 12:14:53 CEST 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:13:07 +0200, Jens Alfke <jens at mooseyard.com> wrote:

> Connection IDs are local; I think there's just a counter in Vortex
> that gets incremented every time it opens a connection. That value
> isn't sent over the socket, as it wouldn't mean anything to the other
> peer.

Hi, hmm... I'm wondering why not connection ID is included in the
greetings message. Wouldn't be that hard to implement IMO. For me the
listener should be the one issuing connection IDs for reference.

> If you want both sides of the connection to have a shared value that
> they can both use to refer to it, you'll have to implement it
> yourself. Having the client generate a UUID and send it to the
> listener over a custom channel might be the easiest way.

Well, they IDs don't have to be the same but it must be clear what ID a
connection to client A, B, C... has.

> But I really can't think of a reason why both sides of the connection
> would need a shared ID to refer to it by. The connection is already an
> implicit shared state of every message sent across it.

Example: I have a bunch of processors attached to my BEEP listener via a
simple socket connection. Hence the external apps need to know from whom a
message was recieved and where an answer should go to. I'm not
implementing all app protocol handling in one BEEP enabled application.

For example: I have one processor that handles file synchronization. As
soon as something needs to be synced the listener will initiate a
filetransfer. This processor just states: transfer-file ABC to XYZ.

And I need to know the XYZ. I have solved this to add the connection ID to
each message packet send from the BEEP listener to the different
processors. This works quite well. Thanks for the input. Robert