[Vortex] [ISSUE] API mismatch using custom SSL contexts

Benoit Amiaux b.amiaux at ateme.com
Tue Apr 22 12:45:58 CEST 2008

Hi,

Robert M. Münch wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:14:54 +0200, Benoit Amiaux <b.amiaux at ateme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Maybe there are better solutions ?
>
> Hi, from my experience over the years I'm totally avoiding the use of any
> DLLs. I try to get everything statically compiled in. It will make your
> live much easier. Vortexlib including AXL is about 380KB big. That's quite
> small. Using tools like UPX to compress your EXE later will save you about
> 50% of the size. This will even speedup the startup time of your app,
> because decompressing is much faster than reading from harddisk.
>
> So, I really suggest to compile everything in. Robert

That's not possible in many cases as Vortex is LGPL and some projects
may need to comply to section 6.b of this license.
Putting licenses aside, compiling everything statically have many
disadvantages. Taking zlib as an example, whenever a security exploit
arise, I prefer updating the single zlib DLL, than having to do 'make
world' and recompile my whole system. (and it's not even possible in
case you have proprietary software)

Bye,
Benoit AMIAUX