[Vortex] [ISSUE] API mismatch using custom SSL contexts

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Tue Apr 22 16:51:57 CEST 2008

On 22 Apr '08, at 1:14 AM, Benoit Amiaux wrote:

> The issue is that the proposed API only allow us to create the context
> but not how to destroy it. This is cumbersome because, as usual, when
> vortex is used as a DLL, it forces us to use the exact same version of
> openssl under which the dll has been linked or you wil suffer instant
> heap corruption when any SLL context is deallocated.

I don't understand the issue here … assuming OpenSSL is a dynamic
library, both Vortex and the host app will be calling into the same
version/instantiation of it, so there shouldn't be a problem with
version conflicts. (Or do DLLs behave very differently in Windows than
what I'm used to from Mac/Unix?)

In any case, I've found it's necessary for my app to make OpenSSL
calls to do things like authenticate certs, so I don't think it would
be feasible to completely abstract out the entire OpenSSL API inside
Vortex.

> - add an abstraction layer above SSL functions, which allows us to use
> any SSL implementation. This abstraction have to be complete,
> including
> allocation, processing and deallocation functions. A default file-
> based
> SSL implementation could be added.

I would like this actually, as using OpenSSL is a bit of a pain for my
app. Certificates are stored in the Mac OS "Keychain" (secure
storage), which transparently integrates with the SSL implementation
in CDSA; but to get a private key securely from the Keychain into
OpenSSL requires some gymnastics, such as first exporting it from the
Keychain in wrapped form with a temporary session key, then importing
that into OpenSSL. This is less secure than leaving the private key
inside the Keychain/CDSA's storage area.

—Jens