[Vortex] [ISSUE] API mismatch using custom SSL contexts

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at robertmuench.de
Fri Apr 25 14:49:51 CEST 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:55:34 +0200, Jorge Cabello <jorge at aspl.es> wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>
> The LGPL licence was chosen because:
>       * Its an open source licence
>       * Any changes made must also be licensed under the LGPL
>       * Users are allowed to link it with proprietary software
>
> Why not BSD? Proprietary forking. The BSD licence would allow another
> company/person to get the code and modify it without giving back the
> changes to the comunity, using the effort of all the people who has
> worked on this proyect to his own benefit.

Hi, ok that's a very valid point. And I think ussing a license to get all
changes back is more than fair.

> ASPL is not going to prosecute people for only static linking Vortex
> into his software. Anyway. its your obligation to follow the licence as
> anyone could demand it and, again, in consideration to all the people
> who has worked on Vortex.

This is OK for me. I'm always providing my changes back to the community.
It's about the applications that differ and giving everyone the same
building blocks makes sense.

> For customer with commercial support the licence can be slightly changed
> to full fit their needs but always granting the previous things.
>
> I hope this helps to clarify the reasons of using the LGPL licence.

Yes, thanks a lot. Roberte