[Vortex] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.0.13 'The denial twist' release is ready!
Francis Brosnan Blazquez
francis at aspl.es
Tue Feb 26 19:58:57 CET 2008
## Vortex Library 1.0.13 ##
## "The denial twist release" ##
Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce the Vortex
Library 1.0.13 "The denial twist" release availability: an open
source "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto
Vortex Library has been developed inside the Af-Arch project as its
data transport layer.
Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
development toolkit. Currently it is running under Microsoft Windows
and GNU/Linux platforms.
Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:
[Vortex Library homepage]
[Sources and Win32 binaries]
[Af-Arch homepage where Vortex Library is being developed]
[BEEP Core community web site]
[Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
The release in short
Several bug fixes and library improvement have been integrated into
this release, updating the library regression testwith more unit
Updated log management to allow an external function to handle
it. Fixed and properly implemented the limited by a timeout connect
(which wasn't working on previous releases) and fixed its function
through a regression test.
Previous release mentioned:
"Current release will be the last one for 1.0.X series. The next
series will include an API update to make the library full
context-based. A change notification will be produced with the
This will not be the approach as announced to our customers and in
the mail list . In short, both branches will evolve in an
Benoit Amiaux (for providing useful feedback, patches, etc,
improving Vortex function on windows). Jens Alfke (for
providing useful feedback and patches to solve bugs).
Changes since 1.0.12
* [fix] Documented VortexCtx object,
* [fix] Fixed xml-rpc-gen which wasn't initializing vortex support
cleanup API. Fixed some calls to axl_stream_get_until_ref
* [fix] Making vortex listener regression test to check sasl support
to be enabled. Reported and Fixed by Jens Alfke.
* [fix] Updated vortex_frame_is_error_message documentation to better
describe its function. Reported by Jens Alfke.
* [fix] Several updates to add a "const" declaration and changing some
declarations from char * to void * (Reported and fixed by Jens
* [new] Updated the vortex log API to allow configuring if all
log messages are synchronized to avoid messages to be mixed from
different modules. (Reported by Jens Alfke). API added:
* [new] Updated vortex log API to allow the application level to
provide a handler to manage all log produced by the application.
Patch by Jens Alfke. API added:
* [fix] Fixed wrong documentation (warnings and wrong references).
* [fix] Exarg Makefile.win fixings and fixed vortex-client.c wrong
long type declaration.
* [fix] Updated xml-rpc-gen tool to support a new option that allows
to configure additional search paths. Option added: --add-search-path.
* [fix] Making vortex close channel to acquire a reference to the
connection during the close process, if the thread mode is
activated, avoiding to lose the reference if the thread planner stop
the close process and other running thread terminates the
connection. Checked regression test.
* [fix] Making vortex_channel_is_opened to also check current
connection status to report if the channel is *really* opened (not
only its internal status).
* [fix] Fixed double deallocation error if the dtd module was not able
to be initialized. Reported and fixed by Jens Alfke.
* [fix] Updated configure.ac to avoid pkg-config bug while disabling
* [fix] Patches to fix vortex thread pool inclusion and variable
declaration at the top of _vortex_log_common (reported and fixed
* [fix] Fixed wrong connect timeout at vortex_connection_new which was
mixing values returned by vortex_connection_get_connect_timeout
(which returns microseconds) with values returned by time() (which
does it in seconds). Problem reported and tracked down by Benoit
* [fix] Fixing documentation and parameter name to make
vortex_connection_connect_timeout to receive a parameter that is
supposed to hold a microseconds timeout value rather and
seconds. (Reported by Benoit Amiaux).
* [fix] Applied patch to better detect msvc while disabling log
produced (patch provided by Benoit Amiaux).
* [fix] Making frame reply restore to check for the new next seq no
value to send.
* [fix] Integrated regression test from (1.1 series) to check out of
order reply condition (inside the test_11). Checked that, without
the patch it is possible to reproduce the problem.
* [fix] Applied patch [1/5] Disable loggin on msv2005. Reported by
* [fix] Applied patch [2/5] Fix invalid documentation and additional
changes to make the parameter changed to conform at the function
implemented. Fixed and reported by Benoit Amiaux.
* [fix] Committing a modified patch from Benoit Amiaux to improve
vortex support module initialization: [4/5].
* [fix] Fixed missing mutex initialization code at the vortex
connection module, which was causing to not start channel_mutex and
channel_update_mutex depending on the peer side (listener or
initiator). Unified mutex initialization code through an unique
function: __vortex_connection_init_mutex. Bug reported by Jens
* [fix] Removed not required mutex initialization code at vortex
connection module due to previous change.
* [fix] Ensuring vortex_channel_build_single_pending_frames to
properly configure the channel reference associated to the frame
built (Bug and its fixing reported by Jens Alfke). Updated
regression test to reproduce the problem and to check the fix
* [fix] Making vortex_listener_cleanup to check queue before
* [fix] Making vortex_greetings_process to flag as a warning to not
receiving a frame containing the greeting. Integrated change into
1.0 and 1.1 branch.
* [fix] Making VortexSequencerData to hold a reference to the
connection and to have a new flag to signal that a message
to be sequenced must be discarded. Integrated into both
branches 1.0 and 1.1.
* [new] Updated vortex handler module to include a foreach handler used
by vortex_async_queue_foreach. Integrated into 1.0 and 1.1
branches. API added:
* [new] Updated vortex async queue API to include a new function that
allows to perform a foreach operation over all items stored, locking
the queue during the operation. Integrated change into 1.0 and 1.1
branches. API added:
* [fix] Updated vortex sequencer internal function to drop all pending
messages to be sequenced for connections that have been closed or
flagged to be closed. Updated vortex main header to reorder main
header inclusion. Change integrated into both branches 1.0 and 1.1.
* [fix] Making vortex_listener_shutdown to lock the caller during the
process of close the listener and all associated connections.
* [fix] Making vortex listener to unref the connection after the
initial and second step are finished, to avoid race conditions
caused by a connection close in the middle of those states. Bug fix
integrated into 1.0 and 1.1 branches.
* [fix] Improved connection timeout (connect operations with timeout
activated) to really implement a global timeout for all the
operation. Previous implementation wasn't properly implementing all
cases. Integrated bug fix into 1.0 and 1.1 branches.
* [new] Updated vortex connection API to include two new functions
that allows to block and check I/O read operations for a particular
connection. Integrated into both branches 1.0 and 1.1. API added:
* [fix] Making vortex connection module to signal vortex sequencer
module to flag all its pending associated message to be discarded
due to connection close. Fix integrated into both branches (1.0 and
* [fix] Making vortex reader module to check for blocked connections
to avoid performing I/O reading over them and updated
vortex_reader_foreach internal API to return a queue where a
notification is provided. Bug fixes and updates integrated into
both branches (1.0 and 1.1).
* [fix] Making vortex_frame_get_next to check for a connection not
properly initialized, if an error is found, properly signaling the
error rather a general connection broken. Updated both branches (1.0
* [fix] Committing missing change to export internal function from
vortex sequencer (vortex_sequencer_drop_connection_messages). Bug
fixed in both branches.
* [fix] Integrated test_12 into general regression test. Inside on
* [fix] Integrated TUNNEL regression test into main test (GREAT!).
Integration performed on both branches (1.0 and 1.1).
* [fix] Fixing documentation warnings.
* [fix] Fixing minimal bug which was introducing doxygen comments
without having them activated.
* [new] Updated vortex hash module to include a new function to remove
items stored without calling to destroy function. Used this to
implement new function to remove items stored as data associated to
channels. API update applied to both branches (1.0 and 1.1) API
* [fix] Making vortex_connection_block to lock the caller until the
connection is really blocked. Fix applied on both branches (1.0 and
* [fix] Making non-blocking connect with timeout activated to also
check of I/O read ready before proceeding only on windows
platform. Fix applied on both branches (1.0 and 1.1).
Advanced Software Production Line is leading the Af-Arch project: a
complete framework to develop distributed application to manage
Af-Arch project relies on Vortex Library to exchange data between
its distributed nodes.
Advanced Software Production Line also provides GNU/Linux support
and consulting services to help organization to introduce GNU/Linux
inside its process.
Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
and/or BEEP based development services.
You can reach us:
http://www.aspl.es - info at aspl.es
We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!
Francis Brosnan Blázquez - francis at aspl.es
Advanced Software Production Line - http://www.aspl.es
26th feb 2008, Madrid (Spain)
More information about the Vortex