[Vortex] MinGW & vortex lib problems

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at robertmuench.de
Fri Feb 29 09:28:46 CET 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:10:46 +0100, Francis Brosnan Blazquez
<francis at aspl.es> wrote:

> lib.exe is a windows platform specific tool bundle with Microsoft
> compilers (at least that's the source we use to get it; visual studio
> 2005 express). Its main function is to produce a windows import library
> from a export file (a .def file).

Hi Francis, ok I guessed this but "lib.exe" is a quite generic name.
DigitalMars compilers use it as well. Maybe adding a note would help to
clearify this.

> If you are using mingw for your own production you won't need this since
> gcc has the ability to links against dlls using its direct reference.
> This is only used to produced the windows installer.

Ok. I try to compile a static lib from the source code as I want to avoid
DLL hell problems.

>> - Unfortunately the necessary depending link libraries for the vortex
>> lib seem not to be given so that a bunch of "undefined reference" errors
>> appear. I have found out to link with "libcrtdll.a" fomr MinGW helps.
>> But there are still some undefined references left:
>> 	- stat
>> 	- close
>> 	- read
>> 	- open
>> 	- vsnprintf
>>
>> Any idea what mingw lib I need to link to? I'm not yet an expert with
>> MinGW.
>
> You shouldn't get these errors since those symbols are included in the
> msys and mingw distribution.

Hmm... do you know within what library file? This is really strange.

> No clue at this point..:-? Looks like your
> mingw environment needs more configuration.

Ok, even it's a pretty simple standard setup.

> I would suggest to check all variables inside Makefile.win files,
> and if a minimal main.c file using
> those symbols can create an executable using gcc....

I will do and see how far I can come. Can someone please send me (or to
the list) his MinGW makefile for "libaxl" and "libvortex"? I think this
will help me to find out what's happening.

> Current distribution includes a src/Makefile.win file that do not have
> by default activated sasl and tls support.

Ah, not? Because the makefile referenced those source files.

> Only internal features (like tunnel and xml-rpc profile) are activated
> by default. See: $(OPENSSL_FLAGS), $(OPENSSL_LIBS), $(GSASL_FLAGS) and
> $(GSASL_LIBS). Take a look at [1]. Its the main makefile.win file used,
> and provides some examples about previous variables.

Ok, I will do. Thanks.

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.robertmuench.de