[Vortex] MinGW & vortex lib problems

Francis Brosnan Blazquez francis at aspl.es
Wed Feb 27 10:10:46 CET 2008

Hi Robert,

> Hi all, I'm new to the vortex lib stuff and just try to get it compiled
> with MinGW. I have some problems to get it through. Here are my problems:
>
> - AXL: The makefile.win references a programm "lib.exe" which isn't
> included in the MinGW distribution. In MinGW there is LD which seems to be
> able to create dynamic and static libs. What's this "lib.exe" line meant
> for?

lib.exe is a windows platform specific tool bundle with Microsoft
compilers (at least that's the source we use to get it; visual studio
2005 express). Its main function is to produce a windows import library
from a export file (a .def file).

If you are using mingw for your own production you won't need this since
gcc has the ability to links against dlls using its direct reference.
This is only used to produced the windows installer.

> - Unfortunately the necessary depending link libraries for the vortex lib
> seem not to be given so that a bunch of "undefined reference" errors
> appear. I have found out to link with "libcrtdll.a" fomr MinGW helps. But
> there are still some undefined references left:
> 	- stat
> 	- close
> 	- read
> 	- open
> 	- vsnprintf
>
> Any idea what mingw lib I need to link to? I'm not yet an expert with
> MinGW.

You shouldn't get these errors since those symbols are included in the
msys and mingw distribution. No clue at this point..:-? Looks like your
mingw environment needs more configuration. I would suggest to check all
variables inside Makefile.win files, and if a minimal main.c file using
those symbols can create an executable using gcc....

> Some comments someone from ASPL might add the vortex lib documentation
> pages, that others might help to make the first steps simpler.
>
> - It would help if the expected directory names for the dependend
> libraries are mentioned somewhere. The vortex makefile.win references to
> the directory "libaxl" whereas the distributed AXL lib ZIP uses a
> different direcotry naming. So, just extracting the ZIP file with the
> directory name used won't work right out of the box.

Ok. I'll take into account this...

> - Within the AXL doc it is stated that the axl_config_win32.h has to be
> renamed. But it's tricky to find/remember, please add a comment to the
> libvortex doc as well. Makes live easier for others.

Ok. Makes sense.

> - The standard vortex distribution seems to have TLS, SALS, XML-RPC and
> TUNNEL profile activated by default. Commenting out the includes in
> "vortex.h" and the *.o files within the makefile.win seems to create a
> pure vortex version. Maybe it's better to start with a pure version or use
> some DEFINES to enable those optional things. I expect people first want
> to get the lib compiled with as few problems/dependencies as possible.

Current distribution includes a src/Makefile.win file that do not have
by default activated sasl and tls support.

Only internal features (like tunnel and xml-rpc profile) are activated
by default. See: $(OPENSSL_FLAGS), $(OPENSSL_LIBS), $(GSASL_FLAGS) and
$(GSASL_LIBS). Take a look at [1]. Its the main makefile.win file used,
and provides some examples about previous variables.

Cheers!

> Thanks a lot for you help.

[1] https://dolphin.aspl.es/svn/publico/af-arch/trunk/Makefile.win
Advanced Software Production Line, S.L.