[Vortex] "no data were waiting on this non-blocking connection" warning

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Wed Mar 19 18:02:37 CET 2008

On 4 Mar '08, at 7:00 AM, Francis Brosnan Blazquez wrote:

> In the order hand it is an unexpected condition since vortex reader do
> not call to vortex_frame_get_next if the connection is not prepared to
> provide data...

It happens 100% of the time in my application — I see about 13 of
these warnings in a row when receiving a large (32kbyte) frame. Since
I receive these frames about once a second [it's streamed audio] this
is really cluttering up my logs.

I think I see what the problem is. vortex_frame_get_next calls
__vortex_frame_readline, which reads one byte at a time from the
socket, until it either reads a newline or fills its buffer. But! If
only a partial line has been received by the socket, readline will
read past the end of the available data and get an EWOULDBLOCK error,
thus returning -2 and triggering this warning.

In fact it looks as though __vortex_frame_readline will lose the
partial line, since the caller won't end up using any of the bytes
read. Wouldn't this cause serious errors?

—Jens