[Vortex] General Vortex Library / BEEP concept questions

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at robertmuench.de
Fri Mar 28 18:05:32 CET 2008

Hi, as I'm new to all this BEEP stuff and just making my first steps with
the Vortex library I have some questions that I hope somebody of you can
help me with:

1. Client/Server: Am I right, that BEEP clients and servers are talking
widly in a "request/response" model? So, the client is mostly the one
initiating a request and the server returns some answer.

Is it possible to setup a connection from a client to a server and than
have the server start a request? I think it should, because when
registering a Profile, a frame-recieved handler can be specified. And this
is possible on the client and server.

2. I have a problem to create a binding to a scripting language. I use
REBOL. The problem is that the interpreter crashes with a "stack overflow"
as soon as a REBOL callback is called from inside a vortex callback.

For example: I have a C level funciton to start a listening server, which
of course specifies an "on_accept" callback. The "on_accept" function
calls the scripting language callback. And this crashes.

Calling the scripting language callback directly from the function to
start the listing server works.

Is Vortex doing anything between the register call and the callback call
that could cause a "stack overflow" error in the interpreter?

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.robertmuench.de