[Vortex] APEX / XMPP over BEEP?

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Sat May 3 17:42:59 CEST 2008

On 3 May '08, at 4:18 AM, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> I read about XMPP and it has some nice features but I think BEEP could
> offer more. Has anyone looked in implementing either APEX (I don't
> think
> so) or XMPP over BEEP? Google just returned 2 hits... Robert

You could run XMPP/Jabber over BEEP, but there'd be redundancy since
both protocols do some of the same things.

Probably the best approach would be to deliver each XMPP message/
packet/stanza as a separate BEEP message.

For <iq> packets, you could send the XMPP reply either as the BEEP
reply, or just as a separate BEEP message (since the reply <iq>
contains the XMPP id of the original.) However, XMPP doesn't have
BEEP's requirement that messages be replied to in order, which might
cause problems with the first approach.

APEX might be cleaner to implement since it was, of course, designed
to layer atop BEEP. What are the specific XMPP features that you're
interested in?

(I actually wrote a Jabber implementation years ago as part of the
early work on Apple's iChat client; but I'm pretty rusty on the
details of the protocol by now.)

—Jens