[Vortex] APEX / XMPP over BEEP?

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Mon May 5 00:12:13 CEST 2008

On 4 May '08, at 4:26 AM, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> Well, I like the idea of an application / service framework with a
> dynamic
> mesh. Beside IM a lot of different applications come to mind. For
> example
> a P2P eBay. You just publish your stuff and others can query it.

That's kind of what I'm working on; see my series of blog posts
starting with
	http://mooseyard.com/Jens/2008/04/cloudy-as-buzzwords/

If you really are thinking of a P2P protocol, then you need to deal
with a large number of critical issues that aren't addressed by either
APEX or XMPP, because both of those assume the existence of trusted
servers with well-known addresses. Issues like how to create
identities, how to trust that an identity belongs to a specific
person, how to verify the authenticity of messages, how to find the
addresses of the other nodes in the mesh...

I'm in the midst of implementing these things. However, I am not
trying to create a completely general infrastructure service, at least
not at first, because there's no hook to make people want to actually
use it. Instead I'm creating a specific GUI application on top of it
(whose details I'm not talking about yet) that should hopefully be
compelling enough to get some adoption of the platform.

—Jens