[Vortex] Are content-types and transfer-encodings supposed to work?

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Fri May 9 02:21:56 CEST 2008

Has anyone successfully used content types and/or transfer encodings
in Vortex? I've started registering them for my profiles, and it's
broken my app. It appears there are bugs in Vortex with either
generating or parsing the MIME headers for frames.

The first sign of trouble is that one peer can't parse the payload of
a frame. I haven't looked at that payload yet, but it gets worse: when
it returns an error, the other peer can't parse it, and when I look at
the frame's payload, it's mangled:

(gdb) print (char*)vortex_frame_get_payload (frame)
$1 = 0xdbc1760 "ntent-Transfer-Encoding: text/y\r\n<error code='400'
 >Couldn't decode YAML</error>\r\n"

Part of the MIME headers are sticking into the content, and the
transfer-encoding string that's visible there is wrong: it's a
truncated form of the content-type, "text/yaml".

—Jens