[Vortex] Is vortex assuming that msg numbers on channels start at 1 and increase by 1/

Sam Roberts vieuxtech at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 01:03:28 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Robert M. Münch
<robert.muench at robertmuench.de> wrote:
> Am 20.11.2008, 13:19 Uhr, schrieb Francis Brosnan Blazquez <francis at aspl.es>:
>
>> In the other hand, the fact Vortex works with other BEEP
>> implementations, in terms of message number generation, only means they
>> chose a sane pattern, but, technically, they (including vortex), should
>> allow receiving the message 5 then 659 and then 3. I suspect no BEEP
>> implementation supports this at this moment.

Well, beepcore-c seems to, I just tested it.

> Hi, can someone state a good cause why such a pattern is allowed? I really don't see any added-value to support this and I have no clue why this was defined in the standard.

No message ordering was defined in the standard. There doesn't have to
be any order. And, of course, even if you just increment msg numbers
by 1 they will wrap down to zero if you send enough of them.

FYI, rfc3080:

  The message number ("msgno") must be a non-negative integer (in the
   range 0..2147483647) and have a different value than all other "MSG"
   messages on the same channel for which a reply has not been
   completely received.

I suspect you only use vortex to talk to vortex, so fixing this might
have no value to you.

I use multiple toolkits, and it looks like this vortex assumption has
caused interop failure with two other implementations recently, so its
not "subtle".

Btw, whats the implementation that started msg ordering at zero,
Francis? I want to test beepcore-c against it!

Sam