[Vortex] Using vortex for IPC

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at robertmuench.de
Tue Oct 7 09:36:32 CEST 2008

Am 07.10.2008, 06:04 Uhr, schrieb Mikhail Dmitrievsky <mishadm at mail.ru>:

>      2. Transfer limit is 2Gb.
>
> As I understand, the problem is that vortex uses variables of "int" type
> instead of "unsigned int" for saving sequence numbers.  Then the
> transfer size becomes more that 2Gb, vortex tries to increase sequence
> number and it becomes greater than INT_MAX, so  we get sequence number
> value near -INT_MAX. After that vortex closes connection.

Hi, not that I have a good answer to your problem but I just want to
understand what you do. Do you send a 2GB file in one chunk? Like a
stream? I'm sending files in chunks of a certain size (for example 512KB).
How I understand it is, that vortex will take this 512KB payload and break
it down into several vortex packages. And those packages are sequenced.

Nevertheless, if a connection lasts for very long time and there is a lot
of traffic, there will be the case where sequence numbers are exceeding
2^32-1 (if unsigned is used). So there must be some rules how to deal with
it. I haven't looked up the RFC but I'm pretty sure there is a description
how to handle such a case.

> To fix this problem I made a lot of changes in vortex sources (about 30
> places in 10 files), but I'm not sure that I did all necessary changes.
> If someone want to fix this bug in vortex, I can send my changes to him.

Please send them to Francis for review. Normally such patches are included
quite fast.

--
Robert M. Münch
Mobile: +49 (177) 245 2802