[Vortex] Using vortex for IPC

Mikhail Dmitrievsky mishadm at mail.ru
Tue Oct 7 09:56:23 CEST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert M. MЭnch <robert.muench at robertmuench.de>
To: vortex at lists.aspl.es
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:36:32 +0200
Subject: Re: [Vortex] Using vortex for IPC

> Am 07.10.2008, 06:04 Uhr, schrieb Mikhail Dmitrievsky <mishadm at mail.ru>:
>
> >      2. Transfer limit is 2Gb.
> >
> > As I understand, the problem is that vortex uses variables of "int" type
> > instead of "unsigned int" for saving sequence numbers.  Then the
> > transfer size becomes more that 2Gb, vortex tries to increase sequence
> > number and it becomes greater than INT_MAX, so  we get sequence number
> > value near -INT_MAX. After that vortex closes connection.
>
> Hi, not that I have a good answer to your problem but I just want to
> understand what you do. Do you send a 2GB file in one chunk? Like a
> stream? I'm sending files in chunks of a certain size (for example 512KB).
> How I understand it is, that vortex will take this 512KB payload and break
> it down into several vortex packages. And those packages are sequenced.

No, I don't sending files, I sending data from DataBase. There is application that accepts requests and sends responds back. Responds may be small (less than 10 Kb) or big (about 100 Mb each). Vortex sequencer splits them in ~4kb frames. May be I don't use vortex correctly... I use vortex_channel_send_rpy to send reply back. How can i set payload and payload size?

> Nevertheless, if a connection lasts for very long time and there is a lot
> of traffic, there will be the case where sequence numbers are exceeding
> 2^32-1 (if unsigned is used). So there must be some rules how to deal with
> it. I haven't looked up the RFC but I'm pretty sure there is a description
> how to handle such a case.

Of course, sequence number should be rotated between 0 and UINT_MAX.

WBR, Mikhail