[Vortex] Build questions & strange crash

"Robert M. Münch" robert.muench at robertmuench.de
Mon Jul 9 10:39:36 CEST 2012

Am 09.07.2012 um 10:05 schrieb Francis Brosnan Blazquez:

> I mostly agree, however, consider that openssl is the facto SSL library,
> even for windows (unless you need something really especific).

Yes, but it's still horrible to compile :-)

>> I don't know if you could provide MING pre-compiled dynamic and static
>> version of these dependent libs, that work with vortex. That would be
>> a big time-saver.
>>
>> Especially it's not sufficient to just get SASL (I'm using GNU SASL)
>> because this needs gcrypt, gerror, ... you name it. It has a complete
>> ripple-effect until you get everything compiled.
>
> Ok, here we have several issues. From a technical point of view that
> would require a lot of work since we are also using precompiled packages
> of openssl (if you think gsasl is hard to build, try openssl ;-).

Sure, but we have a small community, so I could provide a bunch of those .a files as pre-compiled versions.

> In the other hand, the LGPL license explicitly disallow this because
> that would disable users' possibility to change the LGPL parts of the
> project, that is, they must be used as dynamic library.

That's not true. You can link statically with LPGL as long as you provide the object files and/or the source-code. Which is IMO no big deal. We just make it simple for the user to have to setup everything to compile the stuff.

> I see your point Robert but knowing these issues, especially the license
> one, it makes no sense to invest time on getting static versions only
> for openssl...

As said, I don't see this just for openssl but for all the other dependent parts as well. But anyway, I might setup a page on my homepage where people can collect all these things.

--
Robert M. Münch